Pages

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Pride and Prejudice: The Movie

I watched Pride and Prejudice tonight and cannot believe the wonderful ending! Are there other Jane Austen stories that end so well? I confess that I almost held my breath during some of the scenes and hardly moved for the entire two-and-a-half hours.

When it was over, just like a really good book, I was loathe to let it go! In fact, perhaps, now, I should read the book, now that I know it is safe.

Having seen Sense and Sensibility, but not read any of the books or seen any other movies, except Becoming Jane, I must admit, I was prepared for nothing to go well for the any of the primary characters in the Bennett family.

I half expected the movie to end with nearly all their hearts broken!

When Darcy redeemed himself and began to make such grand kind gestures on Elizabeth’s behalf, I was happy that things were working out for those Bennett sisters, but still suspected that somehow, Darcy and Lizzie would be kept apart.

So what a delight at the end to see that they would get to be together!

Did anyone else watch it? What did you think?

I am about to go order the book now, I think, and will start reading it next week. I hadn't intended to start with that book but it makes sense now that I've watched the movie.

6 comments:

  1. I love Pride and Prejudice! The first version I saw was the BBC/AE version from 1995. It made me an Austen addict! I even wrote a sequel about Charlotte Lucas, the woman who married Mr. Collins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wrote a sequel? Where is it? I want to read it while it's fresh in my mind. Although I just ordered the book, so maybe I should wait until after I read it!

    I loved it, too!! It had a happy ending :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Giveaway is now up and running! I'm sorry it wasn't working when you tried to enter, but it's working now! jenniferbecton.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I watch Jane Austen movie released! I really like the one with Colin Firth (I think it's the one Jennifer Becton mentioned). OMG I fall for him over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Elaine!! I'm not sure which one Colin Firth is in the movie, but I do plan to watch it again and again.

    I haven't seen them all but I hope to see them.

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Colin Firth is the A&E/BBC version. The best, IMHO. There's also the 1980 BBC version, which tends to stay truer to the text (http://www.amazon.com/Pride-Prejudice-1980-Elizabeth-Garvie/dp/B000244FDW) and the 1940 version with Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier (http://www.amazon.com/Pride-Prejudice-Greer-Garson/dp/B000GRUQKQ). If you want to branch out, don't miss the Bollywood version, "Bride and Prejudice" (http://www.amazon.com/Bride-Prejudice-Martin-Henderson/dp/B00094AS9U/). Someone stop me. I could go on forever about my favorite novel and its film adaptations.

    ReplyDelete