Pages

Sunday, September 5, 2010

I Finished Pride and Prejudice!

Pride And Prejudice

Plodding Along

Pride and Prejudice took me a lot longer than I expected!! Because of some of the differences in word usage back then, when it was written, I found I read it much more slowly than I usually do when reading a novel. And I often had to re-read, realizing that I hadn't fully comprehended what I had just read.

I hope I get used to the language and writing style as I read more of her books.

My Favorite Parts

There were four parts of the book that were my favorites! ...

(1) When Charlotte foreshadowed the problem Darcy had with Jane, that she didn't evidence her feelings for Bingley. She predicted that it could be a problem because Jane had a tendency not to reveal her emotions.

"It is sometimes a disadvantage to be so very guarded. If a woman conceals her affection with the same skill from the object of it, she may lose the opportunity of fixing him; and it will then be but poor consolation to believe the world equally in the dark." ~~Pride & Prejudice

(2) When Darcy admitted his feelings for Elizabeth by carefully detailing all the reasons he shouldn't love her and then, confessed that despite his struggle and effort, he'd been unable to avoid falling for her.

"In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you." ~~Pride & Prejudice

(3) When Elizabeth found out that it was Darcy who stepped in to help clean up the mess Wickham created. And I particularly love her aunt's hinting at the end of her letter.

"He wants nothing but a little more liveliness, and that, if he marry prudently, his wife may teach him. I thought him very sly; -- he hardly ever mentioned your name. But slyness seems the fashion." ~~Pride & Prejudice

(4) When Darcy shows up at the end to proclaim his love for Elizabeth. I loved the way you could feel the love between them even when they weren't saying it! And it amused me that her father expressed the shock they all are feeling -- they thought she despised him and now she's saying she loves him and wants to marry him!

"Her father was walking about the room, looking grave and anxious. 'Lizzy,' said he, 'what are you doing? Are you out of your senses, to ve accepting this man? Have not you always hated him?'" ~~Pride & Prejudice

No comments:

Post a Comment