Pages

Sunday, October 17, 2010

My Review of Mr. Darcy's Little Sister

Mr. Darcy's Little Sister (Pride & Prejudice Continues)

I must admit I had a difficult time getting into Mr. Darcy's Little Sister (Pride & Prejudice Continues). The first 20-30 pages were delightful, and then, suddenly, it seemed like the story slowed to a crawl for nearly the rest of the first 100 pages. I put the book down for weeks at a time and indeed, posted here that I was giving up on Jane Austen books and Jane Austen sequels.

Part of what bothered me about this particular story was the lead character’s (Georgiana) paralyzing shyness and her anxiety about the upcoming Season that it seemed would never come.

Finally, the family left for London and that’s when the story began to get exciting. After surviving a very stressful situation, Georgiana discovers some backbone and that, coupled with her private lessons from Lizzie, brings her poise and allays her anxiety.

Romance begins to edge its way into the story and the remainder of their preparation for her presentation was fun. I loved the rhythm of their days, with teas and music and heart-to-heart talks, and lots of fashion help from their servant staff!

The actual balls were fun, too, especially with Georgiana’s newfound confidence.

The story ended happily for her and for several of the book’s characters and I am so glad I went back to it and hung in there until the excitement began.

No comments:

Post a Comment